What is IFOMPT: The International Federation of Orthopaedic Manipulative Physical Therapists (IFOMPT) represents groups of Manipulative Physical Therapists around the world who have completed stringent post-registration/post-graduation specialisation programs in the field of neuro-musculoskeletal disorders.
It is a Federation that sets educational and clinical standards in this area of physical therapy. IFOMPT actively encourages improved patient management by its Standards Document and by acitvely endorsing evidence based practice. IFOMPT is a subgroup of the World Confederation of Physical Therapy, and was formed in 1974.
“Worldwide promotion of excellence and unity in clinical and academic standards for manual/musculoskeletal physiotherapists.”
IFOMPT aims to
- Promote and maintain the high standards of specialist education and clinical practice in manual/musculoskeletal physiotherapists.
- Promote and facilitate evidence based practice and research amongst its members.
- Communicate widely the purpose and level of the specialisation of manual/musculoskeletal physiotherapists amongst physiotherapists, other healthcare disciplines and the general public.
- Work towards international unity/conformity of educational standards of practice amongst manual/musculoskeletal physiotherapists.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with individuals within the organisation and with other organisations.