Joseph Pilates (Pi-LAH-teez) began teaching his exercise method in the late 1920’s. The Pilates Method or “Contrology” was defined by Joseph Pilates as “the science and art of coordinated mind-body-spirit development through natural movements under strict control of the will…Contrology movements are designed to exercise to its full extension every single bundle in the 800 voluntary muscle-motors each of us has been given to alter ourselves.’ The Method combines calmness, centeredness and limberness with motion, muscle tone, and strength to help restore balance back to the body for ultimate flexibility and strength.
The benefits of Pilates are manifold:
- Increased physical and mental strength and endurance. It is ideal for those with stressful lives or those recovering from injury
- Improvement of muscle flexibility and joint mobility
- Improved coordination, posture, balance, and alignment
- Improved sleep, energy and confidence
- Improving the efficiency of body movement and skills to prevent injury (1)
KIMA provides one-on-one Pilates either as part of your physical therapy program or as a separate service. Your physical therapist will help to devise a program with our certified Pilates Instructor. Connecting with the deep muscles of your core through Pilates training can help support your body to restore motion and function. This is a safe and effective way to transition slowly back to an exercise program after injury.